The SMTL have been testing wound dressings for over 30 years and were involved in establishing the first functionality tests for dressings which were adopted as British Pharmacopoeia methodologies, and latterly adopted as a series of parts of the European Standards BS EN 13726 Test Methods for Primary Wound Dressings.
The laboratory is recognised as a centre of excellence for the research, development and testing of wound dressings, and our reports are accepted and respected worldwide by clinicians, manufacturers and procurement bodies. Our client list is varied and include start up companies, SMEs, international medical device manufacturers, government agencies such as Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), Department of Health (DoH), NHS Supply Chain, NHS Trusts, Police Forces and Legal Representatives.
We are UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) accredited for the testing of wound dressings and currently offer testing to British Pharmacopoeia monographs, Europeans Standards and a number of in-house developed methodologies:
- British Pharmacopoeia 1993 - Polyurethane Foam and Vapour Permeable Film Wound Dressings
- British Pharmacopoeia 1993 Addendum 1995 - Alginate Wound Dressings
- British Pharmacopoeia 1993 Addendum 1996 - Semi-permeable Hydrocolloid Wound Dressings
- BS EN 13726-1 Test Methods for Primary Wound Dressings ; Aspects of Absorbency
- BS EN 13726-2 Test Methods for Primary Wound Dressings ; Moisture Vapour Transmission Rate (MVTR) of Vapour Permeable Film Dressings
- BS EN 13726-3 Test Methods for Primary Wound Dressings ; Waterproofness
- BS EN 13726-4 Test Methods for Primary Wound Dressings ; Conformability / Extensibility and Permanent Set
SMTL have developed a number of In-house test methods for dressings as follows:
- WRAP Dynamic Fluid Handling Capacity Testing
- Bacterial and Viral Barrier Testing
- Anti-Microbiological Testing
- Wound Bed Adherency Testing
- Fluid Retention Capacity
- Wicking absorbency
- Odour Absorption
and many more.....
The SMTL also sell a number of apparatus for wound dressings testing such as Paddington Cups, WRAP testing rigs and Bacterial Barrier apparatus.
For further information contact the SMTL:
Surgical Materials Testing Laboratory, Princess of Wales Hospital, Coity Road, Bridgend, UK, CF31 1RQ.
Tel: +44 (0) 1656 752820